Student organizations are a great way for Marian University students to get involved on campus. Participation and membership in a student club, organization, or group will make an impact on your campus life and community, help you develop new skills and hone existing skills based on what you've learned in the classroom, enable you to make new friends with similar interests, and have fun!
Currently, Marian University has over 55 registered undergraduate student organizations for a wide range of hobbies, majors, and special interests. If you can't find a student organization that aligns with your interests, start your own.
Marketing Tips for Student Orgs
Knightly News is the weekly newsletter sent out via OrgSync every Sunday from Student Activities! The Knightly News is a great way to promote your event or make a large-scale announcement. In order to submit please fill out the Knightly News Announcement Request Form that can be found under "Forms" in the Student Life portal. Please submit the form by the Friday before the Sunday issue you would like to be advertised in. If you made an event page on OrgSync already, be sure to also include the link. If you do not receive Knightly News, be sure to turn on notifications in your OrgSync settings.
First step of a successful event should always be creating an event on OrgSync in your student organization's portal. This allows you to share it with the large campus calendar on OrgSync, collect RSVPs, and also prompts you on reminders such as IT, room reservations, etc.
Another great way to promote your event while also going green is posting your flier on the digital screens located across campus. These screens are on a constant loop of announcements and have a large audience. To post your event email firstname.lastname@example.org with your flier.
Marian University Policy for Posting Fliers on Campus
This policy applies to all on campus advertising at Marian University. All fliers must be stamped “Approved by Student Affairs” or if they are ministry related, “Campus Ministry Approved.”
- Fliers will only be approved for recognized student organizations and MU departments.
- The name of the sponsoring student organization or campus department must appear clearly.
- The name of the event, day, date and time must be displayed clearly.
- A contact person name and email and/or phone number must be included.
- Send a copy of flier as an email attachment to email@example.com.
- You will receive an email response when your flier is approved (please allow one business day).
- Once approved, you may make additional copies, which you must bring in to the Student Success and Engagement (SSE) office (Clare 127) for official approval stamp before posting.
- Upon request, SSE will print up to twenty 8.5x11” b/w or color copies of your approved flier.
- Open bulletin boards in any campus building—avoid boards that are clearly departmental.
- You may leave 4-6 copies in SSE office to be distributed to residence halls.
- DO NOT post on painted surfaces, brick/concrete structures, doors, windows or walls; campus locator signs, lamp posts, trash receptacles, trees, vehicles or windshields; walkways, stairways, entrances, glass surfaces, etc.
Student organizations and campus departments are responsible for the removal of postings after the event or at the expiration date. Unapproved, expired or improperly posted fliers will be removed and recycled.
Violation of this posting policy may result in loss of posting privileges and possibly further sanctions.
SGA Senate Meeting Announcements
All student organizations must have a Senator that attends SGA Senate meetings every other week. These meetings consist of representatives from each organization. At each meeting there is an opportunity to make an announcement which is another avenue to spread the word!
Reserve a table in Alumni Hall
Promoting in person is always the best way. If you are interested in reserving a table in Alumni Hall to hand out fliers, giveaways, or just talk to students who are passing by please email Robin Spearin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions or for more information, email email@example.com or call 317.955.6318.
Already a Student Organization? Make sure to update your portal on OrgSync!
OrgSync offers many features that makes being a student organization a lot easier, including:
- Smoother transition of members and officers
- Automated elections of new officers and easy communication
- Budgeting tool to keep track of where your money is going and collect dues
- See what's happening on campus via the OrgSync calendar
- Get feedback on your events by allowing OrgSync to send an automated post-event survey to all who attended your event
- Advertise your upcoming events on the Knightly News, Marian University's weekly student organization newsletter
Contact any Student Activities and Orientation staff to help your organization best utilize OrgSync.